Monday, March 26, 2007

More about me.
By December 2003, I was on the verge of needing a scooter to get around my small farm, even around my house. I was in constant pain in all my joints, and weighed WAAAYYY too much. I went on the Atkins Diet again (3rd time is a charm) because I knew that not only would I lose weight, which I desperately needed to do, but that I would just feel better. Well, about 4 months after going on low-carb, I was down to the weight I am at right now. My husband was amazed because, as he put it, "she is like a new person!"
I can walk back and forth to the barn, help out with the chores, hey, even get up and down out of the recliner without a crane! Anyway, my horrendous joint pains were all gone, I wasn't out of breath all the time, and I had some energy for the first time in years. I have maintained my 66 pound weight loss for 3 years without regaining it. I am still about 70 pounds overweight, though, and am hoping by being accountable to this blog, I will regain the motivation to go back to induction level carbs and finish losing that final half of my stubborn fat!Historically, on Atkins, I lost 85 pounds when I was 22. and 100 pounds when I was 34, but I did what almost everyone else does after dieting. I went back to eating the way I had before. Yes, you gain it all back plus another 20% in an amazingly fast time span. You can't blame that on using a Low-carb program to lose it, either, because everyone does it...regardless of how they lost the weight. I have tried all the other diets out there and on most of them, I actually gained weight. There isn't any doubt in my mind that I am exceptionally sensitive to carbohydrates and that explains why Atkins has been the only diet that worked for me. Most other low-carb programs still allow too many carbs for me to lose weight. If you watch my food diary you will see that I now eat (and maintain my weight) only 30 to 45 carbs a day. For me to lose, I have to stay at or below the Atkins specified induction level of 20 carbohydrates. You would think knocking 15 or 20 grams of carb off my meals wouldn't be a big thing, but it's a lot harder than it seems when that cuts my already small carb intake in half. 20 grams of carb is so little, that I really have to stay vigilant. BUT I know I can do it, and I would really like to get down to my ideal weight by the middle of summer. So, here is where I am starting....I appreciate your support.Sid

No comments: