Tuesday, April 17, 2007

About my Diet

One thing I haven’t written about me is that I live on an operating farm. We raise meat goats, dairy goats, laying hens, and rabbits. We also have many friends who raise cattle, and hogs. I am kind of picky (OK, almost militant) about the kind of things fed to animals meant for food, so that’s part of the reason I raise the animals I do, and I purchase beef and pork from my friends. I know full well what is in their feed. I know they haven’t been pumped full of antibiotics, or hormones and they haven’t been fed chicken poop! I detest processing chickens, so I still purchase “grocery store” chicken, but that isn’t a staple of my diet like it is some folks. I also eat vegetables pretty much only when they are in season and available from local farms. I support my neighbors! I do have a very large greenhouse and could grow salad fixings year round, but it’s being used mainly as a storehouse for stuff. My husband and I keep meaning to clean it out... But we both have day jobs, and we run a home based business (making skin care products from goat milk) in our “spare time” [HA].

So, eating low carb is probably a little easier (maybe cheaper) for me than it is for some folks. I also make my own cheese, and lately I have been experimenting with exotic sausage variations. Good food is fun!

Sid

No comments: